Monday, August 11, 2008

when to buy organic (fruits/veggies)

Lately I've been putting my baby food processor to work as Magnus will be starting solids soon. I ran across the following helpful list regarding when to buy organic fruits & veggies (from wholesomebabyfood.com).

Buy Organic (most contaminated with pesticides)
• Apples
• Bell Peppers
• Celery
• Cherries
• Imported Grapes
• Nectarines
• Peaches
• Pears
• Potatoes
• Red Raspberries
• Spinach
• Strawberries

Buy non-organic (least contaminated by pesticides)
• Asparagus
• Avocados
• Bananas
• Broccoli
• Cauliflower
• Corn (sweet)
• Kiwi
• Mangos
• Onions
• Papaya
• Pineapples
• Peas (sweet)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

funny... Baby Super Foods says that bananas are very susceptible to pesticides because of their porous peel... ???? I think I'll buy all organic just to be safe!

blythe said...

Other sites I've read said that thick skinned fruits and veggies (like bananas) tend to be a lot less contaminated by pesticides.

I guess if you have to pick and choose when to buy organic or not (partially because of the price of organic), then pick the produce on the list above.

Ultimately, I'd like to grow a large portion of my produce, but that will be a few years... so hopefully Magnus will survive my experimentation with baby foods. ;-)

Anonymous said...

lately, we've been buying ALL organic produce b/c i just don't like the idea of ANY amount of pesticides on our food. of course, i only became this anal after having ethan! only the best for our babies, right?