Monday, August 18, 2008

the shortening that wasn't

For the past year or so, I've been using Smart Balance vegetable shortening for my pie crusts and other baking needs. All my crusts have turned out flaky AND hydrogenation free. Now the wonder product appears to have been wiped off the face of planet Earth, leaving no trace behind. Not only have the grocery stores here stopped carrying it, but the Smart Balance website itself seems to have obliterated the product from baking history. Maybe I should call the company, rant and rave, and end up with a few consolatory coupons.

I am aware that Crisco now is "trans-fat free" as well, although the method they use to drop the trans-fat grams off their nutrition facts is still hydrogenation (just full instead of partial). Something about hydrogenation is just yucky, so I am on the hunt for a new alternative shortening. Spectrum Organics has one, although it's only $7.99 for 24 oz (which would be enough to make 3 double pie crusts).

Bummer. Why does good stuff get discontinued?

1 comments:

Eowyn's Heir said...

as far as I know, Smart Balance is NOT discontinued. I've gotten coupons for it in the mail in the past two "red plum"s